I design the book cover as my contribution to the project. The image used for the cover design is a painting by Arush who was a student at Child Care Center at Tata Institute of Fundamental Research, Mumbai, India.
The book is a collection of articles by internationally renowned Linguists, Socio-linguists and Educationists.
It talks about :
a) why multilingual practices are very much necessary in the classrooms especially at the elementary level when children’s languages are varied than the official, standard Marathi language in Maharashtra (one of the States in India). Children know at least 2-3 languages.
b) fluidity of languages.
c) The politics of language which hampers overall educational quality and the children’s rights of the deprived sections in particular and the relation between dialects and the std lang.
d) what should be the medium of education at elementary level. Etc.
d) The necessity of the language policy.
e) The translation of focus group paper of National Curriculum Framework, 2005 namely how to teach Indian Languages which talks in details about the importance of Multilingual teaching and its relation with quality, once identity and participation in education etc.
f) The teaching of second language particularly English.
Some demographic details:
- According to the 2001 Census of India has 1599 plus 122 major languages. But nearly 69-72 languages are only taught in schools all over India.
- As per Peoples Linguistic Survey of India (community driven survey recently done by Dr. Ganesh Devi and his team) 50 languages, including 12 varieties of Marathi are spoken in Maharashtra.
- There are in all 70,000 schools in Maharashtra including private, government, Adivasi Ashram Schools and residential schools for socially deprived sections (Bahujan Samaj) run by Social by welfare dept.
- The book is prepared mainly for Teachers (both teacher-student and in-service teachers), educationists, reference for education colleges or teacher training institutes, and also interested Parents, media persons and people at large.
- It will help in inculcating conceptual clarity about mother tongue education at large at the elementary level and also help in multilingual practices. It will also help resource persons and educationists to help in developing multilingual practices in classrooms.
- It is distributed through the Unique Academy’s own network and reach out to educational departments in various universities and also tie up with networks like teachers unions/group, B.Ed. and D.Ed colleges.